Thursday, June 9, 2011

Macaroni and Cheese (keeper version)

me and my mom
I've tried many, many macaroni and cheese recipes that I have found online and in cookbooks. They all fall short of my mom's recipe.  After trying so many different versions, I have come to the conclusion that her recipe is just the best one there is!







Macaroni and Cheese


Cook 1 cup macaroni until tender.
Melt in saucpan:
1/4 cup butter or marg
Add: 
1 Tbsp chopped onion
Cook slowly until tender but not browned
Blend in:
1/4 cup Flour 
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp dry mustard
Few grains pepper
Gradually stir in:
2 cups milk
Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened.
Add:
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese 
Stir until cheese is melted 
Add cooked macaroni and blend well
Pour into buttered 1 1/2 or 2 quart casserole 
Sprinkle with:
2/3 cup buttered bread crumbs
Bake in preheated 375 F oven for 30 minutes or until bubbly and browned 
4-6 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment