Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Ginger Beef

My dad used to be the head chef in a fancy steakhouse restaurant.  I remember going to visit him at work while I was really young and seeing the amazing, hectic, busy kitchen.  I also loved going in the walk-in freezer (the huge slabs of meat and whole dead animals didn't traumatize me too much, I guess).  He is an amazing chef, and has a lot of great recipes up his sleeve.  His ginger beef recipe is my absolute favourite.  He actually came up with it himself, and it was on the menu at the restaurant.  I love it with rice and steamed broccoli!

Ginger Beef

Cut beef into thin strips. Coat in cornstarch.  Deep fry at 350F, then coat with sauce.

  • 2T minced ginger
  • 1/2 c. vinegar
  • 1/4 c. brown sugar
  • 1/4 c. soy sauce
  • 1T chiles
  • 1t garlic
  • 2 splashes tobasco

    Combine above ingredients, and heat to a simmer

  • 2T cornstarch
  • 4T ketchup

    Blend cornstarch and ketchup, then slowly add to sauce mixture while whisking.  Heat at a simmer until thickened. 

No comments:

Post a Comment