Friday, March 11, 2011

Grandma Buns

These buns are legendary.  You don't even know.  It's a staple at all Frache family holidays and Sunday get-togethers.  The other day, I tried making them for the first time and I nearly fell over because they turned out so well.  They were totally perfect at first- but then they got a little dry the next day, so not quite there, but stinkin' close.  Anyway, I want to share the love with you.  This is the recipe that my grandma Rayma Frache has been using for years.  She got the recipe from my adopted grandma/birthday buddy Doris Erickson.

Grandma Buns:
  
Combine the yeast and flour:
  • 2 Tbsp Fermipan inst. yeast (only available in Canada, I think.  Use this type if possible)
  • 4 cups flour (I used half bread/half all-purpose.  My grandma swears by Ellison's)
Whip together the following ingredients:
  • 8 Tbsp white sugar
  • 6 Tbsp oil (Canola)
  • 2 eggs
  • 3 cups warm water
Add flour/yeast mixture and blend well.

Combine the following:
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 3-4 cups flour
Add the salt/flour to the mixture and blend well until smooth.

Pour out onto floured surface and knead.  Place in a large greased bowl, turning once so dough is coated.  Cover with cloth and let rise 15 min in warm over. Punch down. Let rise again about 30 min.  Punch down.
Pour out onto floured surface.  Form into buns (If you roll out and then use a glass to cut them they will be more uniform). Place on a greased pan.  Cover and let rise in a warm place.

Bake 15-18 min @350F
Makes about 4 doz.

If you try making them, please let me know how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment