Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Gluten Free Graham Crackers

So this one time I had to make an instructional video for my technology class. Since I was making graham crackers anyway, I did a how-to video on that.  I felt like such a dork!  I also wanted to get it all done this past weekend, so it's not flawless and my perfectionist side is angry at it.  It exists on youtube-- but I can't decide if I want to post it here.  But hey, I'm all for people laughing at me :) 

On another note, I've gotten a few chances lately to teach some groups how to make pie, a few meals, etc. It wasn't formal by any means, but I loved doing it.  I might not be much for being recorded (ie: cooking show is a no-go) but I'm looking forward to being in front of  a classroom!

Anywho, I'll at least post the recipe.  It is WAY good.  The gluten free part is irrelevant on how tasty they are.  I haven't tried it with regular flour, but I would suspect that it would turn out similar if you substituted the xanthan gum with half the volume in baking soda.

Gluten Free Graham Crackers:
2 1/4 cups gluten-free flour mix (I used Pamela's baking and pancake mix)
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2 generous tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp xanthan gum
7 Tbsp butter or margarine, cut into piece
3 Tbsp cold water
3 Tbps honey
1 tsp vanilla
Additional white sugar

In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients.
Cut in butter using a pastry cutter or two knives until is resembles cornmeal
Stir in water, honey, and vanilla.  Dough should form a firm ball.  If it is too dry, gradually add small amounts of water.
(OPTIONAL: Refrigerate dough until cold.  It makes for a more crispy cookie, but I've done it both ways and both work)
Preheat oven to 325
Line a large cookie sheet with wax paper and spray with a non-stick spray.
Place dough on cookie sheet.  Use a floured rolling pin to roll out to about 1/8'' thick.
Score dough with a pizza cutter or knife and prick all over with a fork.
(OPTIONAL: Sprinkle with additional sugar)
Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown and starting the harden.  Re-score the dough.  Place back in oven but turn off heat and leave in warm oven.  Check every now and then for desired crispiness.  Let cool for at least 5 minutes before breaking apart.

Ta-da!

I for reals like these way more than normal graham crackers.  Dang good!

1 comment: