Saturday, October 15, 2011

What the heck are teenagers watching these days...

I'm taking quite a few Secondary Education classes right now.  One of my teachers suggested that we watch a few shows that our students are interested in just to see what is going on, what they are identifying with, the messages they are receiving, etc.  Well, I've watched several "Secret Life of the American Teenager" episodes, and it basically just makes me want to punch somebody in the face.  Oh. My. Gosh.  There are four seasons and I'm barely in the first, so maybe it changes but as of right now, I just don't get it.  I enjoy some less mature shows, but this is ridiculous.  What writers and producers think that this is appropriate material for a middle schooler?  Who picked these horrible actors?  Why is the scandalous sex addict and the emotional little sister the only ones with with any common sense whatsoever (including adults)?  I must say, I do enjoy the guidance counselor because he is willing to tell the 15 year olds who are trying to get married that they're being idiots, because that's what I feel like saying about to the characters, but it's still not the best way to respond in an authority position over young teens.
I looked up the rating and it got 5/10 stars.  I looked at the rating breakdown, and as I suspected, it's mostly people giving it either 10's (OH EM GEE BEST SHOW EVER!) or 1's (What the crap is going on?).
Summary of how I feel about this show:

No comments:

Post a Comment