Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Gnocchi

Yeah, I'm a pro food photographer. Hello there, webcam.

I love gnocchi.  If you've never had it, you're seriously missing out.  It is a dense potato dumping from Italy, and there are a ton of variations of what to put in it.  I haven't had it in ages because it's so darn expensive at the store!  Then I said to myself, "DUH! Make it yourself!".  Little did I know that it is also CRAZY easy.  Seriously.  The plain recipe has 3 ingredients. No kidding.

Basic Gnocchi Recipe:
  • 2 russet potatoes
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1 egeg
Cook the potatoes, either by boiling or microwave.  Mash in a bowl and let cool slightly. Stir in most of the flour and egg. The dough may seem quite dry at this point, but just try squeezing it together with your hands until it makes a firm, dense dough.  Add additional flour if necessary.  Heat a large pot of water to a boil.  While the water heats up, form your gnocchi.  Roll a portion of dough into a snake about 1.5'' thick.  Cut into bite size piece and roll into an oblong shape.  Once water is at a rolling boil, insert gnocchi and stir immediately to prevent sticking. Stir every few minutes, cooking until the gnocchi floats to the top. Cover with your favourite pasta sauce!

These little guys are filling.  I would say that this recipe could feed 3-4 people easily.  

Now, these obviously aren't the healthiest in this form.  But hey, this was my first shot and I was going for something basic.  Next shot, I'm going to try it with wheat flour and chopped spinach. And I really want to try doing it with sweet potatoes... How awesome would that be?  Other variations include adding ricotta, ground meat, fun Italian spices... Good stuff.
You can also use gnocchi in soups (like at Olive Garden), casseroles, etc. 

4 comments:

  1. Yummm! I love gnocchi too! That's what I always order at Cocco Pazzo. I like to put it in stew, instead of potatoes. I'd love to try sweet potato gnocchi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sweet potato gnocchi with cinnamon...YUMMO!!!
    I also have a great recipe for gnocchi with a butter sage sauce that I made for RS Christmas dinner that received rave reviews...but I'm pretty sure it's in one of the MANY recipe books that got left behind so you'll have to wait to get it :-) n

    ReplyDelete