Thursday, October 20, 2011

Healthified Corn Chowder

I love soup, but especially cream based soup.  Unfortunately my slight lactose intolerance and general health do  not appreciate frequent indulgences.  The other day I found a recipe for corn chowder, and it saddened my heart to see the LARGE amount of butter, flour, and cream in it.  Then I remembered the leek soup that I made a while ago and how it was quite cream-like while using a cauliflower puree.  Thus, I decided to combine various ideas and come up with my own corn chowder recipe.  Tadaaaa!

Healthified Corn Chowder

  • 3 cups cauliflower
  • 1 can of corn
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp pepper
  • 1/2 tsp thyme
  • 1 clove garlic
  • 1 1/2 cup vegetable broth
  • 1/4 cup all purpose flour
  • 1 medium potato, chopped
  • 3 carrots, chopped
Place cauliflower and liquid from the corn in a microwave safe dish and cover with saran wrap.  Cook for about 9 minutes, or until cauliflower is tender.  Carefully transfer cauliflower and liquid to a blender.  Add about 1/4 cup of corn.  Puree until smooth.  Transfer puree to a medium saucepan.  Add broth, garlic, salt, pepper, and thyme and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat, and gradually whisk in 1/4 cup of all-purpose flour. Return to a simmer.  Add remaining ingredients.  Cook for about 15-18 minutes or until vegetables are tender. 


Notes:
You can garnish with basil or more thyme or serve with garlic toast!

You can use corn starch instead of flour if you're going for GF.  It's just for thickening :)


And here is my crappy picture =D

1 comment: