Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Tofu Manicotti

I felt very, very sneaky making this manicotti.  It's one of those dishes that you don't tell your family what is actually in it-- or at least not until after they try it and say that it's good.  It is good.  You really can't tell that it's tofu.  Trust me!  But don't worry-- I'll post the "normal" recipe in the near future if that's more your style :)

Manicotti shells:
  • 2 eggs
  • 3/4 c. flour
  • 1/2 c. water
Beat eggs with an electric mixer.  Slowly add flour and water.  Batter will be thin.  Heat a skillet over medium heat and spray with non-stick spray.  Pour a small amount of batter into pan and tilt to spread thin.  Cook both sides until spongy.

Filling:
  • 1/2 lb tofu, drained and crumbled to resemble ricotta
  • 1/2 c. shredded mozzarella
  • 1/4 c. Parmesan cheese
  • 1 large egg, lightly beaten
  • 1/2 lb chopped, cooked spinach
  • 1 tsp Italian seasoning
  • 1 clove garlic
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/8 tsp pepper
Combine all ingredients.

Tofu Manicotti
  • Cooked manicotti shells
  • Prepared filling
  • 3 cups marinara sauce
  • Additional mozzarella and Parmesan cheese
Pour 1 cup of sauce into a 9x9'' glass baking dish.  Take each manicotti shell, put in a few spoonfuls of filling, and wrap up like a burrito.  Place them in the dish with the seam on the bottom to hold together.  Pour remaining sauce on top, and sprinkle additional cheese on top. Bake at 325F for about 15-20 minutes, or until heated through and cheese is melted. 

2 comments:

  1. This is hilarious because I actually got back from the grocery store and when I was there I walked by premade Manicotti and I reallly wanted to get it or make my own but I didn't because it was so unhealthy with all the cheese in it! Haha I can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, that is awesome! Good timing! If you try it, let me know how it goes! Something else that I like to do is use fat free cottage cheese instead of ricotta, if you feel sketched out by the tofu. Sam really liked it though and couldn't even tell the difference!

      Delete