Saturday, October 9, 2010

Hockey Night in Provo







i believe my words were "ok, now look normal"
For date night this week Sam had a great surprise for me- we went to the BYU vs. Weber State hockey game!  I was so excited!   The game was super fun! For one thing, I was watching it with my awesome husband. It was also a great game! In the first period neither team was playing that great, but things really stepped up in the second period. They were hitting hard, passing well, and there were some great goals! The final score was 3-2 for BYU! Go team!





I love hockey games.  I mean, come on, I’m Canadian!  I love being at games, and come Olympic and World Junior’s time, I’m obsessed with watching games on TV (NHL, not so much). Why do I like hockey so much?  Well, besides it just being an awesome and fun sport to watch, it's a little hard to explain.  I was thinking about writing a post about the significance of hockey to Canadians and make clever metaphors and all that jazz, but I don’t think I could do the topic justice.  Hockey is definitely a lot of fun to watch, but it also has meaning to me. For one thing it makes me feel connected to my home country.  It seems like Canadians and Americans express their patriotism and unity in different ways.  Canada is a bit more subtle about it, but I think that one way national pride surfaces is through hockey.  Look at the unity exhibited during the Olympics.  It was overwhelming, and I loved it. Hockey is part of our culture and national identity. This probably sounds really hokey to some people, but I think many know what I’m talking about.  If you have a good way to explain the true meaning of hockey, post a comment! I want to hear your take on it.  Why is hockey so important to Canadians?

Here’s a video of pretty much my favourite moment in hockey.  I was in Utah at the time of the Vancouver Olympics, which was really sad for me. I missed home so much at that time!  I was literally almost crying when we won. I was fighting it hard. 





1 comment:

  1. First off - BEST GOAL EVER!!!!

    I don't know that I can explain the significance of hockey in a way that will do it justice either. I think part of it comes down to the fact that it's a sport anyone can play, no matter your social standing or background. You can be 2 or 92. Anyone can (and does) strap on a pair of skates and head over to the pond or local rink and play a game of shinny, often times with a bunch of strangers who also just showed up to play - and we've been doing it for decades (and well I might add!) It's a game we all get. It's our game.

    p.s. way to go Sam for the awesome date night activity! Did you get season tickets? 'cause you should.

    ReplyDelete